Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Retrenched Investment Bankers (Where do they go to?)
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 12:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Theory and real life can be and usually are a world apart.

Theory says if your NW is $5m and you invest it for 5% return, you will get $250k a year to live on happily.

Real life: NW is $5m

Primary home : $1.5M (may appreciate in value over time but not giving cash flow yearly)
CPF : as eg. MA = $104k (couple), SA = $350k (couple), OA = $500k (couple)
Assuming below 55 yo, total held up in CPF = ~ $1m

Emergency cash :$100k
Stocks : $1.4m (spread over various stocks from high risk-high return and low risk-low returns)
Average ROI from stocks ~ 5% or $70k dividends pa.

Investment property at $1m
Rental income : $30k pa nett.

Total cash flow per year = $100k

If the above sounds realistic, it is because it is.

We are above 55 and upon reaching 55, our yearly CPF interests are available for withdrawal.

In our case, our NW is well above $6M and our passive income is only $150k pa for use (including CPF interest). If you really want $250k passive income, before you reach 55, the $5m should be investible net worth (not including your home and not including money in your CPF). In short, you need a total NW of no less than $6.5M to $7M!

Now you know why we are not retiring yet.
Thanks I agree it is better to be conservative in retirement planning than to come back to the work force after retiring for a few years and find money not enough. You may not even be able to find a job by that time! That is why I am still working even though my NW is above $5m not because of greed but more due to prudence. For you as a couple (assuming your kinds have all grown up and on their own), what would be the amount of passive income that you would be aiming before calling it quits?