Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 29-03-2017, 09:29 AM
Unregistered

Good reply!

Money is not everything to the elderly.

The time taken and care given to look after them command more respect than just money.

A child who can afford to give more, doesn't mean more filial, if the child not even visiting the parents except once during Lunar New Year, outsourced all clinic or hospital visit to external, not even bother to make a single call to check their well-being.

Probably the child might make a few more visits when the parents are in critical condition then start tearing in front. And in funeral procession, cry and shout non-stop during cremation. Once over, everything is back to normal. No more feeling to the parents and continue to work till their turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It is important not to jump to conclusion and throw judgement without finding out more.

My parents are well advanced in age (both above 90) and have been staying with us since they were in their 60s when my children were born. Their every need - food, medical care, outings, and the occasional holidays abroad were all taken care of by us.

Allowance at this point of their lives are symbolic. My parents at this advanced age need care, companionship and love more than anything else. The money we gave them go directly into ang pows for our children and their cousins (their other grand children) and great grand children during CNY, birthdays etc..

We have a full time maid just to care for them. We bring them out for whenever we go during weekends. My parents are thankfully healthy, but weak and tended to be absent minded.

I am very thankful that my wife accommodates my wish to have my parents stay with us, and that we have the financial means to see them through their old age. It is the least I could do after they brought me up, as well lended us a helping hand in bringing up our children.

You will understand only if you come to this stage of your life when you have to take care of your aged parents, their every needs, take care of their medical bills, have a maid to look after them, and so forth.