Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much is your annual passive income?
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2017, 07:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
everyone sounds so rich in this forum
Richness can be relative (comparative) or absolute.

Relative (comparative) richness
When my neighbour saw that my wife and I have a car each, they said we were rich, even though both our cars were the mass market Jap cars. In absolute wealth terms, my neighbour could be the richer one. Likewise, I told my other neighbour he was rich as his home was a double storey penthouse in our condo but in actual fact, I really dont know his net worth.

Then there is the networth comparison. You see a guy having a higher networth than you and you say he is rich. The correct term to use should be that he is richer - because there is a quantitative measure for richness. See below

Absolute measure by networth
> $1bn. : billionaire club
$500m to $1bn : Uber rich
$100m to $500m : super rich
$50m to $100m : very rich
$10m to $50m : rich
< $10m : general masses

To qualify to be called "rich", you need to have an individual networth of $10m and above. All the rest of us are the general masses. Each one is either richer or poorer than you but are not rich.

Many years ago (30 years), you can be called rich if you have $5m in networth but not now. Similarly in another 20 years, you may need to have $15m networth to join the "rich" league.

So everyone may appear richer than you, but they are certainly not rich - unless their networth hit $10m and above.