Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2017, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all spent one whole morning reading through this tedious 70 pages thread. I am currently thinking of changing a job as i really hate my job and half of me thinks that this career is leading me to nowhere. Not sure if i'm considered a mid career change or more of a fresh graduate. I have been finding jobs that r related to my working experience so as to not put my 5 years working experience to waste and chanced upon job on compliance. Really need some serious help here.

Just a little background of myself

2012 to present 2017 - joined SPF on MTE scheme (5 years bond yes i am regular)
Sadly i have no investigation experiences due to the fact that most positions for investigation r open only for Degree grads. Through part time studies i obtained my degree in management at SIM awarded by University of manchester 2nd upp hons in in 2016. This is my first job and i have no prior banking experience. But i do have adequate knowledge about financial laws and related crimes.

My question is how high is the possibility that i can enter a bank or compliance company and do i need to attain a cert from ICTA or ACAMS and if so which cert should i go for if im more interested in doing AML role. What will my starting pay be and the possible bonuses. Currently im drawing 2.9k with approx 3 months bonus.

Thank you so much hope to receive some valuable feedbacks.
You have a degree and 5 years exp... all you need to do is [apply]. I suggest starting out in (almost) whatever you can find in a bank, be it KYC/CDD, AML, middle office... full time/contract ... likely end up in backend Ops or some short-term contract role, but who knows, if you are very lucky you may get into advisory.

This is just a stepping stone. Study ICTA or ACAMS (they are similar but ACAMS more recognized also takes longer to obtain) while you're working in a bank, it helps conceptualize the theory. Then move on from there...

Initial worst case you still draw around 3k but best case you get 4k and above. I think you got not much to lose... so just [apply].