Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-RMIT fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2017, 11:30 AM
Verified Member

Leody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To a lot of people spreading hearsay/rumors or lying to boast might be just tcss to pass time like you say, but it has the potential to do real damage especially to fresh grads without work experience.

All these stories about private degree "friends" who within a very short time make huge amounts of money in places like banking & finance cause people to have unrealistic expectation and miss out on good careers, not to mention cause self-esteem issue.

If real still never mind, but most likely all BS. Everytime ask for evidence, the usual excuse like privacy, no social media, too successful to bother with linkedin etc.

Ok I guess we had a misunderstanding here and I apologise for any unnecessary misunderstanding. End of the day, I would like to give factual help to people around the forum too. Like I said, I agreed having a private degree tends to lose out to the local grads, especially when you go for your first job interview. By all means I am lucky to be able to join the public service and I have quite a few fellow course mates from RMIT with People's Association drawing about close to 90-100k per annum (including bonuses) after working for like 6 years.

I am not saying that everyone I know that goes into banking are earning several hundred thousands per year, its probably a handful (like 4-5 max) out of several hundreds of people I know. And one fact is that these people are usually in sales with very good people connection. In terms of asset management and other functions, not really. I am stating that it is hard but nothing is impossible. I also do have friends who are still making do with 3-4k salary a month after several years of working but they are usually the happier bunch among us with little stress.

It is not good to raise the hopes of our juniors too high at the same time, I do not wish to dampen their spirits.

Hope that clear things up.

Leo,
Part-time writer of incomeachiever.com