Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much savings do you have?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2017, 04:48 PM
Unregistered

Default Advice needed

I am currently 27 years old graduate working in a government agency and earning annual take home income of 38k including bouses. Had been working in my 3rd year. Current cash savings/on hand available is about 37k. No other assets except a small amount in the stocks (about 1k, just beginning to invest)

I work with a budget and fixed spending for necessities of about 1000 to 1200 a month (food, transport, insurance and giving parents money). My budget for annual spending is about 20,000 including in total. Which left me about 6000 to 8000 for any other things such as medical fees, overseas trip, friends wedding angbao, presents for gf, some family expenses, buying of necessary clothes, shoe etc.

My aim is to consistently save half the amount i left after deducting my above expenses and invest the other half every year. For this year it will mean spending 20k, save 9k and invest 9k (for a total of 38k that i earn).

My main worry here is about my parents as they do not have much savings due to some complicated family circumstances which I will not want to elaborate here. In summary:

Mother: no significant CPF (maybe about 10k or so in total OA,MA,SA from working previously before becoming housewife). Currently only getting $200 a month (excluding my contributions) from a shared job.

Father: Currently working in a 2 jobs and only getting $1800 per month take home. However, he does not have much savings per month as he pay for the utilities, phone bills, groceries and also take care of my grandparents and their medical fees. Think the amount of money he left per month is only about 2 to $300. CPF only about $20k maximum and his medisave is almost used up by my grandparents.

I have a younger brother who is still studying in uni and will only graduate in 2 years time. A younger sister who is still studying and graduating next year (diploma).

My parents have insurance for the basic items such as medical and they also bought insurance for us to pay for our education. Luckily because of this arrangement, I do not need to pay study loan.

I''m worried about my parent's retirement as now they are almost living end to end. I could not contribute more as I would want to build up savings myself and preparing to get a flat and get married in about 3 years time. Currently, we are still able to get by and i feel that giving my parents more money wont help matters in the long run.

I am living a very simple and frugal lifestyle (almost always eating at hawker centres, food courts, cooking at home, taking only MRT, rarely take taxi, never buy any luxury goods etc)

Just need some advice here on how to plan forward for my parent's retirement so that there is a sum of money that they can use when they could not work anymore. Thanks in advance!

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app