Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Can a second lower get into investment or asset management industry
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Regent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Bro, thanks. I ask. How do you differentiate between SME style micro boutique funds, the worse option, and buy side analyst, the better option?

Is it by AUM? Like if the fund > US$500m considered good? Or is it the pay, like S$4k / month starting.

I, second lower, can get to either fund with a few hundred mil AUM or starting S$4k?
There is no hard and fast rule I'm afraid. The thing is the particular fund you look after might be small, but if the company manages a broader range of funds, it might actually be a large setup.

$4k is on the high side for a 2:1 w/o any relevant internship or extra achievements. Most of the boutique funds generally pay ~$3-3.5k for basic analyst. Technically you can say they are buy side, but I would think they are really more like generic financial analyst supporting certain operations.

Some of these setups can wind up anytime and working conditions and benefits are generally much worse than what you can get in bigger banks, so think carefully before jumping. Other than certain firms and individuals with 'star power', even experienced fund managers are paid lower on average than what a lot of laymen expect.