Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Moving into management - tips and strategies?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Verified Member

bochng0001 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know about other companies, but I currently work in a German MNC and honestly the pay is not related to how many people you manage in any way except at the senior levels.

My career track is T1-T8, currently am 32 years old at T3 grade drawing ~14k and I still have all the way up to T8 even if I don't move into management jobs. Management is M1-M5 and as far as I know the salaries are almost parallel, just different skillsets.

Pay and promotion is not about how many people you have under you. I have seen some places a so call manager with 5 people under him drawing less than 10k.
Thanks for sharing.
I presume you're in an engineering position? Your pay is really fantastic and I believe way more than what other engineers would expect to get, not just at 32 but at any age?
I'm in a US tech company and they do pay technical people well (at least compared to local sweatshops), but it's a fact that if you really want to go into the upper echelons in terms of pay and influence, you'd have to go to manager-level or director-level and above (where you're managing people more than doing the dirty work). I don't think it's any different in your company or any other company for that matter?
It's sad that this is the reality (that I seem to be seeing) where technical people, the engines of the company, are valued less than the managers etc but this is how it is, from what I see (e.g. even if you're a technical guru at the top of your game, you still have to bow down to the wishes of the upper management anyway).