Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Moving into management - tips and strategies?
View Single Post
Old 28-01-2017, 12:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by bochng0001 View Post
Hi,

I'm currently 30, and have been in the workforce for about 5 years (tech industry, technical role). Currently I'd say I'm doing okay for my age, but I've been thinking about my career. I've changed jobs 2 times in the last 1 year and gotten excellent pay jumps (35%, 28%) each time, but now I'm worried about pricing myself out of the market.
I guess most people would agree that being stuck in a technical role means that there would probably be a (fairly low) ceiling in terms of salary and position; what tips would you offer for me to move into management some time in the future? Has anyone ever managed to move into a management position (in a new company) from a non-management one?

Thanks for reading and certainly welcome any advice!
Tech managers in financial institutions pays well but you need to build many non technical skills such as coming up with good strategies, engaging senior management and taking risks to handle new initiatives. Pay for director level will range from $20K (junior) to $30K (senior). This is basic pay and bonus is 4 to 5 months for good performers. I was junior director at 39.