Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Poor millionaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Me+wife 36, about 1.5m+0.5m

here are my two cents worth:

- those good teachers who are sad should not be sad, it's what you do with your life...you can go teach chinese in a UK public school and get paid 3 times more, but that means moving/leaving all your life behind, is that what you want? will it make you happy?

- I used to earn/spend like no 2moro, guess i was younger then, so people earning 10k and driving lexus def possible, i used to earn 15k and blow 15k a month, yes it was a great life (but not as good as some of my friends who earn 15k and blow 20k...)

- i guess when i got older (and wiser) i earn 20k and blow 'only' 5k...and now my credit card bill doesnt even get past 1k...! how life changes! and I feel equally happy...

- those who take some risks get rewarded...if you worry all the time if you buy some stocks/property it will go down etc. then you're never going to get rich. My bro, 5 years older, does that and has stashed hard earned salary in HSBC for 20 years eanring 2% p.a.. I am now double his networth. He is certianly more frugal than me too. The difference is I invest 50% of what i save over 10-15 years on stocks, funds, property, trades, business etc etc..

anyway, more important to find happiness in life..it's worth a lot more, we all only get 1 life each!

Hi, I like your advice. I used to earn very average salary of only 100k SGD a year all in. Whereas my hubby makes close to 300k USD a year or around 400k SGD all in. He managed to have savings of around 400k whereas I have about 1M SGD. That's because he would spend close to 70% of what he earns when I save 70%.

We are eyeing landed property since 2009. However the prices keep moving up. We are wondering if we should buy that semi-d. Since I have another property in Singapore and my husband has one in the states, I will have to put down 40% cash on this landed. It would mean wiping out all my cash and marketable securities! I find it quite painful to go down to zero earnings again, although I foresee my bank loan being only about 1.1M or about 3500 SGD a month and no maintenance fee - hehe!

What should I do? Buy or don't buy?