Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2017, 11:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I would like to check with my learned friends on this forum on the prospects of a litigation versus a transaction lawyer. I'm a local uni student in my final year, been offered a TC to do corporate work at one of the big four. However, I've recently re-discovered my passion for litigation (shall bear you all the details of that), and seriously considering transferring to liti.

However, I have serious concerns about my speaking abilities, as I'm far from a charismatic or good speaker. My pragmatic consideration is whether or not I should transfer to liti where I might have greater interest whilst probably limiting my future career prospects, or staying in corporate where the money is allegedly better than liti (as a partner at least), and where the skills are more transferable to other sectors?

On that note, does anyone know how compensation schemes in the big four work for equity partners? Is it based on how much work a partner can bring in, or is it like the magic circle firms where it's based on a global pool?
How do you rediscover a passion for litigation when you've never done it in the first place? If you're referring to law school moots, that's the legal equivalent of calling yourself a pilot after a few rounds at the arcade.

Litigation is incredibly boring. But don't you worry too much about your eloquence. You'll have many years to practice while you bind your 25th bundle of documents at 2 am in the morning and write your 30th research memo.