Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2017, 09:18 AM
Unregistered

Default Different stages of life, different outlook

Had lunch with 2 other colleagues the other day. One was 36, with children in primary school and the other, a fellow mid 50s guy with one child in Poly and an older one working. We had an interesting conversation.

The 36 yo guy was sharing that once his kids grow up he would sell off his car and not drive anymore to save money. He would not want to have a maid also.

The mid 50s guy laughed, and told the 35 yo guy that his thinking will change as he gets older. The mid 50s said that he bought himself a BMW on his 55th birthday to reward himself after 30+ years of slogging. He said they will keep employing a maid so that he and the wife will have more time for themselves. They would want to travel more upon retirement.

He added that he worked hard, saved hard and invest all through his working life for this - to live a life of comfort and now in mid 50s, it is time to pamper himself. Because, after all, when you have enough you should reward yourself every now and then.

I supposed it is all about balance. For myself, I am very satisfied with my Camry and I dont have any desire to own continental cars. But I agree on having a domestic helper even in our retirement, so that we can pursue our hobbies and other activities. For our holidays, we would want to stay in good hotels and not hostels.

The more you save, the harder your money works, the more you can enjoy and pamper yourself in retirement.