Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - AML/Compliance/KYC professionals come in!
View Single Post
Old 09-12-2016, 02:33 AM
Unregistered

I am a new poster. Been ~6 years in the banking since graduation and last 2 years in Compliance. Always been in foreign banks.

During my local engineering university days (more than 7 years back) we already knew mates drawing 4 - 4.8k for internship at BB (e.g. UBS) for IT or middle office functions. Even heard of 8-10k internships from those IB folks in business schools. Which drawn me to apply for banking and got into a Grad Prog starting at 4.8k. Later found out we are paid 4.4 - 4.8k for the whole same batch, which is dependable purely on the interview performance, which also kinda determines our future likely landing spots.

Right now when we do catch up for gossips, the majority of us (mostly middle/back office incld Compliance) are making 6-8k. The higher range-rs are those that jumped ship before. And of course, a rare few are making more in the 10k++ range due to the nature of their role.

So the rumors about joining a MAP and make 10k++ in 5 years, is remotely true. It does happen but not to the majority of MAs and definitely not in this economic climate.

The head of compliance's post is a wake up call. Locals need to stop bickering and start helping one another. Be realistic and stop tarnishing Singaporeans' reputation. Else we will continue to see foreigners holding higher posts and giving high post/salary/increment to other foreigners while we job-hop around the lower positions.

Advise to fresh graduates: Relationship is critical to your banking career. It is much easier when there are many commonalities (e.g. nationality). Aim to perfect it as early as possible because that will be what keeps you at the top. One easy way is to give your buddy a hand. I know it is very basic but I just do not see it practiced often. Look at the big picture and understand who is your real competition.

The purpose of this forum is to share and give advise. So let's uphold the spirit. There is nothing to gain from misleading others.