Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2016, 12:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
so is my brother. and he is one of the CMBs in the hospital. he overseas the pay of all the doctors. senior consultants definitely earn around 20k.

surgeons earn more than that.

also.... compare SAF to the medical industry. SAF - retire at 50. medical industry - retire when you like.

if you compare colonels to consultants, there are way more consultants than colonels.

if you compare generals to senior consultants, there are way more senior consultants than generals. there are less than 30 generals in the entire SAF.

also dont forget your heads of department, from a small department, to the overall head of department of entire speciality. then there is the CMB.

bottom line. stop trying to make drs look like a **** job. if it were really a **** job, you wouldnt be doing it. most people get let go in their 40s and 50s. this doesnt happen to drs.
Totally forgotten about this thread.

Yes your brother is right. Senior consultants earn around $20k. Not most consultants and there are more consultants than senior cons.

I'm not making drs look like **** job. Nobody would think that drs is a **** job. What I would like to correct is the perception that being a dr is a **** glamorous job that pays >$10k/mth even as a junior doctor.

I have many friends who asked me if I am earning >10k/mth when I was just a lowly MO back then. It is a stable job, long hours, higher than average income. However, it is an expensive course to study, being saddled with a huge study loan unless you have rich parents.

I have yet to smell 20k, hopefully I would be able to do in the years to come.