Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Should I accept the offer?
View Single Post
Old 28-10-2016, 01:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Promotion is slow in civil service, but most in private sector are not any better either. Those that can go on to draw 200/300k or above pay is still the small minority. The average private sector 50yo employee is paid the same as civil service. The main difference is private sector has a higher ceiling if you are top 10%, but civil service get much better security.

The reality is on an average basis, a 50 yo civil servant is much better off compared to a private sector PMET. The pay is the same, but there is work life balance and less prone to be retrenched when you are old. Some people will say this mentality is loser, but I think most of us should be honest to ourself in terms of our own capability. Cannot always keep hoping you are the top 10% and think of only upside and not downside.

My 2c after seeing many friends in their late 30s/early 40s in private sector getting mediocre careers and always living in fear of being laid off. They had big dreams when young as well, but cold hard reality is statistically speaking most of us will be average career.
You are a typical sinkie kiasi mentality suitable for civil service content with retiring with a 150k pay at 62. A lot of good performers in pte sector can already draw >300k by late 30s.

If you are young and still scared of this scared of that, you will never make it big in life.