Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Indicate compromise in cover letter
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbird View Post
I am still not getting the answer I need.

Should I indicate explicitly in the cover letter what I can accept (e.g. weekend shift work, entry level position) instead of keeping the HR/manager guessing?

Would they assume that I am only not willing to compromise and would not even consider me for a downgrade to an entry level position or only looking to work on jobs requiring skills or technologies similar to my past experience or not willing to do shift work/after office hours?
The hard truth is - don't bother.

Go and apply for real openings and do the standard rounds with all the common manpower agents like Recruit Express, Kelly, GMP etc. They range from obnoxious to average in terms of attitude, but you have no choice.

For entry level jobs, HR won't even bother to read cover letter. In your case this company don't even have any openings, and your CV is really bad (sorry hard truth) with a 6 years employment gap (bad for most jobs, but IT jobs it is a 100% deal killer). The 99.9% chance is HR will press the delete button without opening your cover letter.

Also I have to agree with the bros above. Unless your last drawn pay was really low in the first place, just 10-20% paycut for an IT job that you left 6 years ago is totally unrealistic.