Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 27-09-2016, 08:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am an engineering graduate. Personally, I dislike organizing or participating in welfare events, outreach events, administrative tasks or secretarial duties like minutes writing that takes up my days.

Even though I am not in a HR role or secretarial role which usually are involved in the above, should I still apply for a public sector/civil service job?
If you aspire to a managerial role, staff work (aka organising events, meetings, take minutes, etc) is an integral part of the civil service no matter which dept you go. The difference is in the amount of staff work you have to do. Ops depts tend to do lesser, policy depts more. The only people who don't do staff work are those who have already reached their ceiling and cannot be promoted anymore. Otherwise, because the civil service is generally not bottom-line centric, staff work is often used to justify why you should be promoted on top of everyone else with the same grade and capabilities as you. It also helps to profile you to other bosses so that when it comes to ranking, other bosses can help to fight for your promotion. Otherwise, every boss will say their own subordinates are good and deserve a promotion.

Perhaps the only person who don't need to staff someone in the government is the President. Even PM needs to staff the President....