Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 28-07-2016, 12:08 AM

JustAnotherPrimaryTeacher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi all,

Would like to seek advice - if you moonlight 6 hours a week, but not tuition related - is that still somewhat okay?

I quote the very old and oft quoted statement: "Teachers are allowed to take up part-time employment outside school hours, including giving private tuition, only if it does not detract them from the official duties assigned in school. The Ministry's guideline is that such part-time employment should not exceed 6 hours a week."

Anyone knows anyone who has done something similar? Just wondering since a side job opportunity came up, and it is also an area I am interested in besides teaching. That being said, I still have a bond/contract to complete.

Thanks

The short answer I can tell you is, if it is genuinely 6 hours a week, then you are safe. Because aside from tuition, I can't really think of any other moonlighting stuff that can keep within this tight boundary. But I hope that you don't be like some of my friends. They started to give more priority to this "moonlight" as compared to their admin duties.. And that, I firmly believe is ethically wrong

In light of that, honestly MOE won't be able to find out how many hours per week are you spending on your side job stuff. Hence it is more of integrity and balance. How passionate are you towards teaching vs towards your side job and how much can you commit outside of school without shortchanging your students?