Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 17-07-2016, 10:03 PM
Unregistered

Just curious, what would you be doing if you had $5m or $6m?

Really, it does not take much time to take a peek at this forum once in a while. Less than a minute if I don't see any interesting post to comment on. 5 minutes if I wanted to contribute something. My life doesn't revolves around this. It's more like a quick pee break.

When I am resting at the business lounges in airports I do steal a peek or two at this forum just to amuse myself.

My first post to this forum was in 2010. At that time, there were quality posts and sharing. I picked up a few pointers here and there on investments and also shared a few tips of my own, including my net worth then. I guessed the $5m figure stuck from then till now. I was 50 then, just embarking on the "golden period" of seeing my income peaking while expenses tapering off. It has been a good 6 years since, and I am enjoying the benefits of accelerated savings during this golden period.

One of my sharings, if you like, was on how you can save a $1m or more in your CPF. Build up your CPF well, as it is one of the more robust "investments" you could ever make. When you are retired with no more salary income, and when markets go south, at least you can fall back on your CPF! And you cannot build up your CPF savings if you retire early!

You may protest that CPF gives meagre interest, but don't forget the interest compounds over the years and it is practically risk free. For example, if we wanted or needed, my wife and I could withdraw $40k pa just from interests alone from our CPF savings.

Finally, I don't mind people sharing their life stories. It is when they get repetitive, cut and paste the whole damn post over and over again without new thoughts or insights, and to add salt to injury, they quickly followed it up by praising themselves that brought the standard of this forum to the lows that it is now at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good point. If I have $5m and at whatever age, the last thing I want to do is to spend time reading and posting in this forum.