Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 30-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Unregistered

Dont laugh at the posters here as you are one of us.

Case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Anyways, you are still young, and will only appreciate what we oldies have been trying to share when you "get there"!

30 years ago, I used to think I was infallible. The world was my oyster, blah blah. I looked at my seniors / superiors with disdain. Scoffing at their work ethics etc...

I see the young ones now doing the same things. And I hope for their sake, when they grow old, they have enough savings to carry them through to allow them to live with dignity and not have to depend on handouts. All their brash behaviours and cock crowing now will count for nothing when they are asked to leave their jobs in their late 40s or 50s.

But I learned my lessons early and fast. I started saving and investing aggressively early in my career. I aim to continue working till 62 even though my passive income is more than enough to cover my expenses now.

All this talk about dying young should not distract you from savings for a comfortable retirement to a ripe old age. Consider the 2 cases below and you will understand which is better.

Case 1.

Person A thinks he will die young or anytime, so he quits his work to laze around when he thinks has saved enough. Scenario 1 sees that A did indeed die young (because he lazed around too much, without purpose in life his health, mind and body degenerate very fast). So he leaves a little bit for his loved ones.

Scenario 2 sees A living longer than he expected. Savings run out at 70. Panic, went back to look for work. Ended up clearing tables at hawker centres.

Case 2.
Person B plans to have long retirement (up to age 90 and beyond). Work and save as long and as much as he could. Scenario 1 sees him dying young, but he leaves a big inheritance to his loved ones. They loved deep, deep.

Scenario 2 sees him living till 90+. His strong investment and savings allow his loved ones to employ a full time helper to look after him. He can lived in dignity and with knowledge that he is not a burden to his loved ones financially.

Think ahead, and not just the current.

To steal a quote from someone: The past is not the present, The present is not the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
laughing @ all these anonymous posters. you mean people are talking to themselves? haha ha ha.

im only here cos my 2 month sabbatical is starting next week. finally handed off all my work and going to spend the last few days at work relaxing before going off for a break. not as rich as the "buy side" guy posting around here or those multi millionaires but i can still afford a simple biz class air ticket to enjoy some farm life over in australia and new zealand.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app