Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil/Public Sector - Ministry/Stat Boards employees knowledge needed!
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2016, 04:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Kind of surprised that people are actually given the choice to be hardworking or lazy. I ever heard of directors replying to emails at 2am in the morning or weekend 10pm, civil service no less. And there are many people who believe that civil service is a retirement place.

Won't the bosses come down hard on those who are less hard striving than they are? Every year there's an appraisal, and the staff is grilled on his or her KPIs, isn't it?
Every organisation will have its share of slackers, who will do just the minimum. The bosses are not everywhere and they can't police all the workflow. All the lazy have to do is maintain the current processes, make sure nothing bad happens, and they can easily pass the time away. I am not just speaking about Civil service, this is also happening at private sector. That is why they will meet their KPIs but not beyond it. As for directors replying at 2am, that is exactly my point. These are the workaholics that will be promoted fast, and that is the level of intensity the competition is at the civil service. Don't expect fast promotions if you want work life balance. You are not going to be able to work at that level of intensity. Why I warn about coming to terms with this is because I saw how it ate at some of my colleagues. They couldn't or wouldn't put in the hours and when younger people with half their seniority could promoted over them. They get very bitter.