Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2016, 09:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Erm can we just ignore Pippa he's departing further and further away from this topic. We get it Pippa you're amazing, smart, handsome, get the girls, and all that. Thanks for your wonderful contributions to this thread.

Btw earlier on some guy asked about the retention rates this year. Any associates/trainees at firms care to weigh in? Of course I'm not asking you to reveal what firm you come from or heard the news from. Just wondering what the rough numbers are like.
Second year associate in a reputable mid-sized firm here. Retention rates were pretty normal (~80%) - but trainees were offered a starting pay much lower that what I got after getting called in 2015.

Generally I feel (and this is just my observation of the trainees / hearsay from my friends at other places) that the standards for getting retained are higher this year. Retained trainees are expected to perform well straightaway after call as a first year associate, no more leeway anymore after the first 6 months (3, if you count the time you REALLY start getting assessed by the partners). A trainee's aptitude for practice is usually pretty evident 2-3 months into the TC; IMO, getting retained in this shitty market where firms have their pick of trainees is as much about natural talent as it is hard work.