Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
...All I ever said was that in areas like constitutional and administrative law, public law, english legal system etc, UK unis are an ideal choice to study at...

but the UK law syllabus is different. in areas of constitutional law, everything is out in the open. it's such an eye-opener and very rewarding in terms gaining the knowledge contained within the british syllabus. you will learn several new mind boggling concepts and you will ask yourself repeatedly till you go hoarse 'what the hell is happening in singapore'.
I think it's actually great that you've taken such an interest in these topics. The legal profession is usually perceived as being cold and hard-nosed - we could always use a dose of idealism.

But I would just suggest absorbing a bit of pragmatism as well. These are not areas that get you employed so there's no point going on about how these areas are so wonderful. No UK firm would hire you to advise on these issues. Why would any self-respecting Englishman engage a Singaporean, from an admittedly illiberal democracy, to advise them on their democratic rights? You'd be a walking oxymoron. The unwritten UK constitution is also clearly very different from Singapore's written one so it would be hard to directly apply your knowledge to the Singapore context, assuming you decide to return.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippa View Post
...enjoy life in the UK which has a really good work/family balance...
You're kidding. Definitely not in London. City law firms are renowned for their long hours.

If you weren't thinking of joining a City firm, my question would be - do regional firms hire many foreigners? (I'm really asking. I've never come across a Singaporean practising in a regional firm).