Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Can I turn down a job after signing a contract?
View Single Post
Old 20-05-2016, 12:41 AM
Verified Member

Armageddon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good, I was doubtful when i saw this thread at first but you've cleared things up. Obviously someone like yourself would be in demand by companies but the expectations would be sky-high, i.e. they would expect you to continue contributing innovative solutions.

With regard to your question about reneging, you will be liable to pay compensation if they decide to sue you, legally speaking. Generally if an employer decides to sue you for not taking up the job, they would claim about 6-8 months worth of salary from you. Nothing is for sure since it is ultimately up to the courts to determine how much you have to pay. 8 months x $7,000 = $56,000. The company may or may not decide to sue you.

Blacklisting is a given.

Other than this, nothing stops you from leaving. Go ahead and take up the second job if you think it's worth it.
Yes, I'm in huge demand by many companies because of my ability to bring in innovation solutions and technology and most importantly, increasing traffic/sales to their brand or websites to get more business. Without wishing to brag, every companies I have worked for have a 150% increase in their sales within just the first two months.

I have read through my contract and it doesn't state anywhere about being liable to pay up to 6 to 8 months of my salary. It states that if I join and if i want to resign, I have to pay 1 month of notice or 1 month of salary in lieu. Maybe, what you mentioned is what is going to happen to me if they were to sue me. I honestly doubt they will sue me because I have a very good relationship with the key people in the company, I know them personally early on in my career. However, I risk burning bridges and being black-listed, which I think for just an increment of $1,500 a month, might not be a wise move because the IT start-up circle in Singapore is very connected to one another. But due to my credentials and my monthly passive income, I really don't have to short-change myself and take a lower pay now.

I have also made it clear to the hiring manager during my interview in the first company, that my salary expectation is to match last drawn or higher, which she told me they can't offer me that high. I just regret signing the contract as going back on a verbal agreement is still better than a written agreement.