Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Can I turn down a job after signing a contract?
View Single Post
Old 20-05-2016, 12:23 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
Yes, I have been programming since the age of 10 so I'm not a typical average Joe who goes through more than a decade of education, and only start working after graduating. I have been working since my secondary school days, programming and freelancing for a living. It's interesting you pointed out the last thread I posted 3 years ago, because it was A*STAR that provided me the trajectory in my career.

At A*STAR, my job was to build an IT start-up eCommerce company, (funded by A*STAR but I'm not actually working for A*STAR if this makes any sense) which is targeted to Hollywood celebrities. I built the website and the entire marketing infrastructure. Our business took off after 6 months and the founder and I (co-founder) were offered a large sum of money (in the millions) by an investment holding company in the US, so we sold off some shares in the company. I still have a 20% shares in the company, which is quite a lot of passive recurring monthly income, due to the revenue we generate from the business.

I'm trying to look for a job which can match or is higher than my last drawn salary which is why I posted this thread. Anyway let's not derail this thread.
Good, I was doubtful when i saw this thread at first but you've cleared things up. Obviously someone like yourself would be in demand by companies but the expectations would be sky-high, i.e. they would expect you to continue contributing innovative solutions.

With regard to your question about reneging, you will be liable to pay compensation if they decide to sue you, legally speaking. Generally if an employer decides to sue you for not taking up the job, they would claim about 6-8 months worth of salary from you. Nothing is for sure since it is ultimately up to the courts to determine how much you have to pay. 8 months x $7,000 = $56,000. The company may or may not decide to sue you.

Blacklisting is a given.

Other than this, nothing stops you from leaving. Go ahead and take up the second job if you think it's worth it.