Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Can I turn down a job after signing a contract?
View Single Post
Old 19-05-2016, 11:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon View Post
Hi, I'm a 24 years old Singaporean and I'm in a big dilemma now. I have had 6 offers in the past 1 month since I resigned from my last job in March. I feel that I'm at the age where I have to choose my next job very carefully because I'm not that young anymore and I'm going into my mid-20 soon so the next job I am going for will be the focal point of my career.

I received an offer from this company, after 4 rounds of interview. My last drawn salary is $8,000. They offered me $7,000 and I was still hesitating to sign the contract, because I was hoping to get an offer which match my last drawn and I was also waiting for an offer from another company, which I went for the interview and I thought it went pretty well, the feedback I got from the hiring manager was that they are really keen to hire me but they need to have an internal discussion first, because the role I'm applying for doesn't really suit me, so they are going to create a new role for me.

However, I was pressured by my mum into signing the contract from the first company because it's a very well-known local company. I went ahead to sign thinking that I will most likely won't hear back from the other company anytime so soon and I want to commence this month. However, they just got back to me with a very attractive offer, which is even higher than my last drawn.

How bad it is to renege on my word and turn down the job after I have already signed the contract? What will be the legal implications that I will face? I understand that I will be blacklisted by the first company and will never hear from them again. At the same time, the second company is my dream job and my first choice, not to mention, they are offering a considerably higher salary.
You are 24 now, 3 years ago in 2 threads (i.e. 21 yo) you claimed you were a diploma educated seasoned professional with 6 years exp in social media marketing working for a famous Hollywood agency dealing with high profile celebrities (i.e. 15yo start working in social media advertising in 2007 when it was not even in existence as an industry).

In addition to being a super high profile Hollywood upstart, you were also busy offering freelance web designing services and applying for entry level executive job in A*Star.

So a super highly independent old bird, worked with Hollywood celebrities with a total 9 years work exp since the tender age of 15 suddenly gets 6 offers within 1 month and most amazingly gets pressured by mama to sign a contract in a local company.

CSB.

://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2932-web-designer-how-much-should-i-charge-my-client.html

://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/2846-how-much-does-social-media-executive-manager-earn.html