Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Banking Jobs
Thread: Banking Jobs
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2016, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by superprawney View Post
Hello everyone, i would just like to see if anyone here can offer me some insight and advice towards the banking sector career pathways.

Im 26, just graduated with a degree in banking and finance and interested to start working in a bank. I don't have any prior working experience and I also currently have no family commitments / relationship commitments at all and intend to devote myself to working for the next few years. I don't mind OT or long hours as i intend to devote all my time to work and building up my career in the coming future.

With that said, I would just like to ask, as a fresh graduate what are the kind of positions in the bank i am able to apply to? I don't mind doing front or backend but there are so many job positions in the bank im unsure which is more suitable for me.

The famous ones i've heard are personal bankers / relationship managers but (pardon me as i have no intention of offending anyone) if im not wrong, a degree is not required for that job position. And mainly it starts with selling insurance, roadshows and being at neighborhood branches etc. Basically i feel that if im going to sell insurance there wouldn't be a need to take my degree as i could have applied for that job with my diploma just as well. Are there any type of sales jobs which have you located in the CBD central office where you don't have to run around?

Ultimately I would just hope any kind souls out here can share with me what kind of job positions in the bank are applicable to fresh grads that basically aren't in competition with diploma holders because i would like to make the most out of my degree. I sincerely am sorry as i don't intend to offend anyone with my post and would just like anyone who has been in my position before to share some information so that i can know what kind of jobs are available out there because im at a lost with all the different job openings available in banks as i don't know what they entail and requires me to do.

Sincere thanks to anyone whos willing to share with me their banking jobs and experiences so i can fully understand all the different roles in the banks at the junior entry fresh grad position.
Considering you have zero work experience and no banking internships, shouldn't you be just applying and see whether you are even lucky enough to get an interview instead of sitting around posturing about "career paths"?

Few years ago, people like yourself even if cannot make it to proper FO or BO jobs can at least settle for basic sales type jobs, but with the severe recession hitting the finance industry, I'm not so sure these jobs are that easily available now.

Long story short, get your arse up and starting firing the CVs. You are in no position to sit around choosing what career paths to apply.