Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Marketing internship in FMCG companies
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourplaceormine View Post
As you have mentioned that you were converted to a full time employee from an internship, (and I'm not sure if you are currently working in an FMCG company) I hope you don't mind me asking how the advancement opportunities are for you as compared to those in the MA programs. I would assume that those from the MA programs are typically groomed to be managers and such, however are advancement opportunities lesser/slower for regular employees? Thanks.
Okay. So I share abit more. I have to lay out the context first so you get a better understand of my placement.

The company I went to was a 200 people, transactional business related to FMCG products, and mature meaning around for 10 years. When I took the 6 month internship, I did it for reasons mentioned above - work experience, cash and potential employment. My approach on how the last will be realized was simple - get in and prove yourself. Meaning I wasn't looking too far ahead. Just show up for work and do a good job everyday. It worked and at the end of the 6 months, the managers pulled me in, say they like me, and gave me a full time contract. Happiest day of my life.

I knew from the start that my experience wouldn't be remotely close to the tracks of the MA programs, which I envision to be meeting upper management, seeing a clear path in the hierarchy, wide exposure to industry. My experience wasn't like this. Again, realism kicked in and I know I wasn't that sort of person. As for I saw my stint in this 6 month internship in this six month internship was knowing my work will be a smaller scale, advance through consistently producing a good work product, and be value add to the firm.

I know these days university graduate seek the ideal path of good grades and MA programs where they get these boundless opportunities to grow and learn. And that's okay! I'm sure FCH and top percentile graduates deserve that. For me, given I like the work and company, which I did, made a decent living, and contribute to the firm's revenue each day, it was easy for me to organically grow a internship to a full time position.