Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Marketing internship in FMCG companies
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2016, 12:42 AM

yourplaceormine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm here, as someone who did a similar path as you. Full time hire from a off cycle internship. Here's my take.

For me, it came down to two things - me knowing myself, and me being risk averse. Of course, you could be the opposite but I like to share with you and others my perspective.

I knew right from the start I'm not a FCH, distinctions guy. I was just honest with myself and knew that I'm an average guy. Therefore, I didn't aim for those fast track, prestigious MA programs because I know I'll unlikely get it. Second, I'm risk averse, meaning if there's a stable opportunity, average salary, I just take.

From what you described, a regular 6 month internship with possibility of conversion, I'll just take as I did before for my company. It'll add income, but more importantly, experience that I hope will beat the other 50% below me. And the upside of employment, I'm sold.

Of course, I may not be you. You may be suited and aiming for the MA programs then by all means, I'd suggest you get FCH and apply. Just saying for me, an internship that pays $1.5k/month, with possibility of full time at $3k/month. I'm good. That's exactly what happened to me and I don't regret.

Know yourself. Then act.
As you have mentioned that you were converted to a full time employee from an internship, (and I'm not sure if you are currently working in an FMCG company) I hope you don't mind me asking how the advancement opportunities are for you as compared to those in the MA programs. I would assume that those from the MA programs are typically groomed to be managers and such, however are advancement opportunities lesser/slower for regular employees? Thanks.