Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2016, 04:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree with you. But please address what happens for BOTH the bankers and the lawyers AT the senior level.

Are you tell me that the process is wildly different at the senior? Is it any much different from the roles where the senior banker constructs, analyzes and executes a deal in his domain and THEN senior lawyer drafts the contracts.

I think most of us are arguing that the majority of law work, at the junior or senior level, follows what their client does.

Someone, institutional or retail buys a property, the lawyer drafts the contract.
A banker finalizes a M&A deal, the lawyer drafts the contract.
A broker intends to push out a business insurance product to the market, the lawyer drafts the contract.
You get the point? Someone thinks of X, the lawyer drafts the contract of X.

I'm only speaking from what I hear. There could very well be lawyers that do creative work. But I only envision those to be criminal lawyers as I only have what I see on TV to go by, which numerous blogs themselves say it's still the exception.
I'm a new poster. What you say may be correct for some types of transactions that you have been exposed to, especially those fully domestic transactions. But there are other transactions which require Creative input mainly from Lawyers, for example structuring private equity funds which have an offshore domicile in the Cayman Islands but are managed by firms domiciled in another country, with various SPVs and other entities in between. You need Lawyers to be the main Drivers in terms of setting up entities, structuring their relationship in accordance with the laws of each jurisdiction.

You just need to broaden your view of the types of legal work there are.