Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2011, 11:29 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I haven't tried buying stocks yet...which financial institution should I go to who can help me buy the right stocks? And which banks in Singapore can give a better return on savings? Not savings account but investment vehicles who can give a safe , reasonable return? Thanks much.
just ask a close friend to teach you how to buy stocks online. i personally use ketrade.com.sg. you'll need open a CDP account too.

to learn about stocks, read some books on local stocks. basically, u need to read widely with a skeptical mind - in particular, don't trust 2 kinds of people: people who conduct seminars and sales staff (who push you to buy unit trusts, investment-linked insurance plans and other funny instruments). it is in their interest to make money from you, not to teach you how to do well. they'll feed you with basic knowledge that doesn't cost a cent to learn.

to play safe, buy blue chip companies. but you will need some capital.

when you have more money, you can also learn how to buy a 2nd property. the first property, which is most likely a hdb flat, is for you to stay in.

good luck.