Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - (advise needed) Training bond and contract signing
View Single Post
Old 29-12-2010, 05:47 PM

flixonase is on a distinguished road
Default (advise needed) Training bond and contract signing

I was offered a job in an engineering related field ( cannot disclose the name of the MNC company I am sorry ). They offered me a 2 years training program locally and overseas followed by a 4 years training bond. The first 2 years of training I will be paid only allowances which is just enough to get by. And other benefits will only kick in after I completed the 2 years training. Which include decent salaries.

My main concern is what are the things I should take note before I sign the contract? I have worries of what if I want to get out of the company ( due to unforeseen reasons ) but I have to pay the huge sum to break the bond. I will definitely have a lawyer look into the contract before I sign. But would like to hear the advise in the forum. I have looked into the worst possible outcome not to expect it to happen, but to prepare in case it happen. Nobody signed a bond to break it, but what ifs can happen. What are the things I should take note, ask, negotiate ?

The worst possible outcome I can think of is generally a need to break the bond and pay the 6 digit sum. Frightening amount. ( I heard NIE teachers who want to break the bond after a 4-5 years study have to pay roughly a 6 digit sum as well ). What is the worst possible outcome, or possible scenarios that might happen ?

And a last question, what other fields required employee to sign training bonds in Singapore ? I know of airlines (SIA), foreigners studying in Singapore ( study bond ) , foreigners working in Singapore through a program ( work bond ). And of course mindef and NIE teachers. Thanks !