Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Quant Finance Jobs in Asian Bank
View Single Post
Old 13-04-2016, 03:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am in agreement with you here actually.

My post was not meant to denigrate TS's PhD. I was just explaining to him that he's got the whole quant recruitment expectation and process wrong.

I'm sure the banks will look kindly to his qualification on IT architecture or systems implementation type of roles and this could be his way of joining a bank. But that doesn't change the fact that joining as a quant upon leaving school is pretty much a no-go for him. Too competitive and he's missing too many critical ingredients.
Arh ... then yup, I agree with you. For a quant position, it's very unlikely. I've been around industry for a while and I know that there's a clear distinction between PhD in math and PhD in computer science. Again, it's very technical.

Imagine when the interviewer panel himself is a quant who probably went through the different levels of work to know the difference when someone should do the programming and when someone should do the modelling.

I'll bring it back to the poster. Given your knowledge, which research topic are you more comfortable handling:

1. Devising a new algorithm to search a 1,000,000 row dataset at O(nlogn) time?
2. Calculate the distribution at time T of a point, which starts at 0, whose dynamics starts out as GBM mean m0 and sd sd0 but sd changes to sd(t), a function of t, whenever the point is at a > 0 or b < 0. Sd switches back to sd0 when point is at a > x > b?

These are really the questions you'll have to be equiped to answer when they see you with PhD.