Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2016, 07:52 PM
Unregistered

Pertinent questions. From this year (2016) onwards, you don't need to decide on which annuity life plan to go on until you are 65. This means your money will remain in the RA and earning 4% until 65 where then they will deduct some money to buy your annuity life plan. At the same time your monthly payout commences.

Can you withdraw the interest earned in your RA? Or when you pledge your property so that you are required to keep only the BRS which is $80.5k currently, can you withdraw the rest of RA money including the interest earned?

When you decide to pledge your property - anytime from 55 to 65, you are only required to keep the BRS (basic retirement sum) which is $80.5k currently - half of the FRS. But here's the catch, you are only allowed to withdraw half of the FRS, that is, $80.5k. You are not allowed to withdraw the interest earned.

Here's another thing. Any top ups above the FRS, are not allowed to be withdrawn, even when you pledge your property.

So you have to decide carefully whether you want to put more money into your RA because you cannot take it out except through the monthly payout when you reach 65! For us, we decided to "bear the pain" now for the future.

And finally yes, we will continue to work while we can, when we are still wanted. You want to live a certain lifestyle, you work for it. Our lifestyle is not an extravagant one, but cost of living is not low here. $100k pa allows us to have a maid, car, overseas vacation yearly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyplane View Post
This is really new to me and good news to me. I am seeking to max out my RA to ERS as well when i hit 55 as RA interest yield of 4% is super attractive in this environment.

Can i check :
If RA interest is not considered, then does my "new" contribution automatically goes into my CPF life "plan" or i can withdraw ? Eg is the rules for withdrawal the standard rules ie i can withdraw the excess RA above the min sum if ever i decide ?

If the latter, then i confirm will be maxing out the CPF bank !

On your point of requiring 850k before hitting 65
... yep. i understand your point and that why SG all are working to 65...
But if i am in your shoes now, i doubt i really "worry" cos i am sure you can manage this with your other non cpf related savings.

You sound a person like you have did your sums !

Good luck ! And best wishes to retirement !