Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Unregistered

I am coming from engineering field designing consumer electronics products.

Being in this field for 10 years.
i am in my current company for 7 years ,my pay has been just slightly increased over the years although i have been promoted 2 times to manager position now , pay at 65k per annum.

The issue is where is your salary "sit" in the supply chain. Our salary is part of the product cost , and cost is part of the margin. and to increase your margin , u have to produce innovative ideas which will SELL.

If the margin is stagnant. same goes with our pay. And the problem is .. in engineering which produce product , what you do now is to "replace" what you have done 3 years ago. LCD TV replaces color TV .. and colour TV replaces black-white TV .. remember ?
and this process will be speed up in face of fierce competition..

retailer want to quickly dump off old technology product even at low margin price. so.. our product is a commodity.. .. so what do you think we are ?

The rule of the game.. we got to be faster than our competitor.. and we have to be smarter than the engineers in china and india. as our company have access to various place for investment on the planet.

in our field.. when you want to have increment. you need to look at how much innovation u have created which SELL . .. so experience don really count much . you won't get too much difference in pay compare to ppl with less experience .

Compare to other industry.. for example food.. it is not so such "urgency" to change your menu .. to innovate your product.. as comparison . how frequent does KFC change their menu ?

It is also unlike other industry.. where accumulated expertise and experience do make differences. Surgeon .. the more experience u have.. the more comfortable the patient will want ur service. .. and they're willing to pay u .