Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career in Engineering - Is it better now?
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2016, 11:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Path View Post
My situation is quite unique actually.. I'm a new accountancy/finance graduate, and am in first year into my job. It is considered to be a decent job in the market.

However, I'm starting to wonder whether this is for me over the long term.. This is due to:
1) Personality: I somewhat feel that I'm a more "hard/technical/science" person, rather than a "soft/business/fluff" person. I'm not in any of the extreme ends, but slightly more towards the former. This causes a certain fit issue with my existing environment (not sure if it's a job nature, industry or company thing though).
2) Interest: I don't exactly hate what I'm doing.. but it doesn't interest me that much either.
3) Hours: Hours are long; OT daily. --> But from the above, engineering is similar?
4) Pressure: High-pressure, fast-paced environment. Demanding boss.

Just a note, I know that no job is perfect. Just that I want to weigh my options.. It can be a little late for me, but there's like 30 years ahead of me in my career. I don't want to regret only 10 years down the road..
Most engineering folk want to jump to where you are. Rarely hear of anyone going the other way. Long hours, stress could possibly be the same with much less pay and prosects. Throw in occupational hazards if you will. Only when you're inside will you appreciate you current position now. Only good fields to enter within engineering are oil&gas (downstream) and aerospace. Would recommend marine but its in the slumps now. You got 30 years ahead of you, so don't jump into a place of no return.