Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2016, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, care to share your path of progression? did you study in singapore or at a UK law school? Also did you get hired by the MC in London or applied directly to their HK office.

I suppose you're looking to qualify as an English solicitor? Any views on whether SG qualified, SG law degree holder is disadvantaged when applying to MC in HK? Im called to the bar here, looking to get English qualified too and moving to HK for a while at least. Do many singaporeans do this?
UK law school, summer vac scheme at MC in HK, TC offer.

Every office does its own hiring, even if they're all within the same firm. If you want to work in HK, apply to HK offices directly. Applications are usually not shared across offices (although I've known a few instances otherwise).

I'm not looking to qualify as an English solicitor btw - HK trainees become HK qualified. I suppose I could do QLTS, but I wouldn't really bother unless there's a commercial need for it tbh. HK law is very similar to English law in any case.

If you're SG qualified, I imagine you'd be applying to HK laterally as opposed to trying for a TC? The Singaporeans lawyers I currently know in HK are a mix of HK trainees/ future trainees and laterals (more often than not, from London). I think lateral is doable insofar as you have the necessary experience. Mandarin and English fluency is very important, perhaps more so at the junior ranks (there are quite a few senior lateral gwai los from UK/ US who don't speak Mandarin). Cantonese is not required, but is helpful for social reasons.

Out of curiosity, why are you interested in moving to HK for a while?