Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I (29 years old) am planning my career, any advice?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2016, 12:07 AM
Verified Member

wahlaoeh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The job market has undergone significant transformation since the Financial Crisis back in 08. Salaries in banking for newbies and those who were junior at the time of the crisis will not reach the bubble levels that preceded the crisis. The high paid bankers are the ones who have been in the game long enough (entered by 2002/3 at the latest) and who have not been axed yet. This will take time as they have the experience and know how about the business. But they are a shrinking population. However, salaries will not go to those levels for a while.

If you don't reach 100k per annum by the time you are 30, there is little chance you will make much more than 100k per annum by the end of your career. This is why it's important to study the right degree in the right school. Of course this does not apply if you come from a wealthy and well connected family.

Good luck OP. No once can advise you, but you need to push through very hard right now to make sure you have an upside
Thanks for the very kind advice that makes a lot of sense. You are right, people like myself who are not wealthy cannot afford to make mistakes in life to have an upside.

Actually, I mentioned clearly that I can't afford a local MBA, and I didn't apply for any MBA. I also mentioned that doing research for a bank is just one of the fields i am interested in.

i already earn around 4k, it is not a problem getting a job around this level. if i wanted to earn 5-6k i simply have to work in this industry or stay in this company but i know from testing my boss there is no future in this company i.e. i will be stuck soon. so i am looking to go back to school and find a new path.

despite that, you can see the usual posters keep going off on a tangent about ivy league mbas and ib jobs.

HAPPY CNY TO ONE AND ALL!