Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - I (29 years old) am planning my career, any advice?
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2016, 04:17 PM
Verified Member

wahlaoeh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
nope, not realistic at all. first off most foreign banks are not interested in a monash malaysia grad even for back office unless we are talking about the usual joksters like RHB, Maybank or some asian bank offshore branch.

secondly, even if he can get in, maybe for someone who started off as a contract 2.8k in early 20s & slowly work his way up after that then yes realistic to get 6-8k by 35. but it is not realistic for someone to join in his early 30s then expect to straight away catapult to 6-8k by 35.

in fact if you look at the industry, the most common finance jobs pte uni grads tend to end up with are either consumer/sme sales in banks or back office work with outsourcers like Citco, Marsh or claims ops with insurance co. this is the hard truth i'm afraid.
thanks, i am just a below average guy trying to earn more money to start a family and live in a better place. believe it or not, i was interviewed by the police for a serial stabber case (stabbed like 20 women and the police were getting desperate for leads). and there are 2 terrorists who lived next to my hdb block (now in isa). and a rape case next block as well. you may be privileged to live somewhere safe but this is the truth about my neighbourhood, one of the most low-income region in singapore.

firstly, i don't find rhb or maybank to be 'jokesters'. i consider them to be reputable companies and i will gladly accept a job with them for the right price and career opportunities.

i guess they are too 'common' for you but they are okay for me.

secondly, i know of uol grads getting into jp morgan singapore.

thirdly, monash is a public university, ranking about 70th in the world.

fourth, i am earning 4k thereabouts now. i have no problems getting similar paid 3-4k job offers, but i am trying to go up a little.

fifth, i used to be a recruiter in my first job (i recruited for some of the biggest mncs in singapore). i earned 2k basic and quit within 6 months. i may still have my CEI (recruiter license). that's another story. :P