Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Its funny how Singaporeans think...
View Single Post
Old 17-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am Singaporean. I work alongside these highly paid expats and completely disagree with the TS. The ones I work with are really good and have worked in many countries and top companies before. There are a few Singaporeans who are their equal, but not many. Those who do typically have strong overseas degrees and some have worked their way up in top cities around the world. If you work in London and New York, in many of the most competitive industries, you will find that there are more foreigners than Englishmen or Americans. This is what makes those cities vibrant.

So, I wouldn't generalize your particular situation to the rest of Singapore. I believe that Singapore needs these people to be competitive.
I agree with you. I work in a very large MNC here in Singapore and yes there are many FTs and Ang Mos. Most of them are really talented and have a good track record of performance and exposure thru working in other cities like London.

Not that they are all talk no action, sometimes I have to agree they tend to talk/conceptualise an idea with no concrete action. But thats the way the thinking process is for them, they like debates/discussions and not all will have actions. Singaporeans in general, wait for the boss to dictate and act.

I think you need a good balance, we should open up our minds, look at what these FTs offer and learn from them, and use it either to climb up the corporate ladder or for your own business. China is the best example, they learn from Singapore and is even doing better than us. Imagine if they are myopic to close their doors and think they can develop from scratch?