Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - ST Electronics
Thread: ST Electronics
View Single Post
Old 26-01-2016, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
last time glc exist is to create more jobs and to take on non public sector jobs so to generate revenues. now glc exist barely just to minimise unemployment rate because there are quite a handful people who couldnt move in to mnc, psd or other better places. if glc is able to maintain their standard, im sure they will become one of the country's biggest asset but they prefer to take in alot who couldnt make it and end up those people change the company culture into quite a sloggy environment who exist just for the sake of existing and the glc simply dont care. there is nothing wrong to take in different academic background people but the problem is they are giving out position titles so freely until a technician level type of people become an engineer but totally have no knowledge of a real engineer work and they still get promoted upwards to SE, APE, PE etc which is quite a ridiculous thing. that in turn make them feel that they dont have the need to upgrades and eventually make them at the losing end when working or discussing work with grad engineer or even the engineer from the west because they dont have the fundermental. i experience alot of this which finally i understood why sometime the cs side enginner or engineer from the west look down at us. we make a supposed-to-be professional job to a unprofessional one.
Well, this seems like a problem inherited from years or decades ago. I suppose you mean there are some very senior engineers or managers without a university degree. They are likely to be those hired 20 or 30 years ago? During those days, university graduates were rare, so many engineering companies hired diploma graduates and they were sufficient for the job.

Nowadays if you look at STE job ads, there are very little openings for diploma graduates. I don't even recall seeing many positions for ITE graduates.

And being a Asian company where seniority is tied to age (or employment period), it tends to promote those like first-come-first-serve basis in a assembly line style. Agree that long employment may not automatically mean more experienced, knowledgeable or skillful.