Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - IT jobs: development vs. operations
View Single Post
Old 25-01-2016, 11:43 AM
Verified Member

oldbird is on a distinguished road

Just to share my personal view. Correct me if I am wrong.

IT development

(1) Working hours can vary. Overtime and crunches needed for last minute user requirements/changes or use of unfamiliar technology. However, on normal days, people in development role can better plan and schedule their activities unless fire-fighting.
(2) Decisions/requests may not be time-critical or need to be made on the spot immediately. Development teams are given time (a day to a week) to research on a requirement and possible options before returning to user to propose the recommended implementation details.
(3) Usually no need to work shift. Irregular hours only happen during deployment or on-site testing of new systems.

IT operations

(1) Working hours can be erratic due to system maintenance, patching during off-office hours (weekends and early mornings 12am - 4am).
(2) Due to some 24x7 round the clock operations, personnel need to work in shifts.
(3) Common for ad-hoc requests for information, status updates or restoration of failed critical services. However for stable systems, very little required and life is peaceful. High stress for swift system troubleshooting and recovery.