Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - opportunity overseas
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 12:48 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
At this stage

I know.. House will cost the same as SG, I hve researched the suburb and size I want. Its 900k to 1.1 m for the area and size of hse I am looking at.
Monthly rental at $2500

My expected is a 10 to 15% pay cut from my current salary. I am reaching 40 soon, and honestly am worried I will not get much pay increment due to the fact that the salary bands for my levels are about there. I am already on the higher side of salary band for what I do. Unless I get promoted to directpr, which I dont plan on, I am not so ambitous and just want to work and spend time with myofamily.
I am not emotionally invested in my career so to speak.

I am attracted to the lifestyle in AU because I hope to continue what I am doing for the next decade of more with not much changes, slight salary increments, I can accept. I am not hoping for salary spikes, I am comfortable at this level. The new job is relatively simple from what I hear, I think I can do it well, its achievable, not rocket science. In fact I hope to retire in the smaller states, perth or QLD if possible, its slower there.
A few comments:

1) Your housing expectations are way too high for your given income. This has nothing to do with AU per se, more like proper financial planning. With your effective paycut to to 100k and husband job insecurity, you really should not be looking at a house costing $1.1m.

In fact as a new migrant, I would be quite worried if you push past $500k, you should downgrade the location and size drastically.

Now interest is artificially low, but in the past it used to run 6-7%, the mortgage payments alone will you guys.

2) One thing about AU you need to know is salary progression is very low to start with. It is a mature economy averaging 2-3% wage increase every year. If you already hit career ceiling and have no intention to climb the corporate ladder and just want to sit back enjoy life, then 1-2% increase every year already not bad for the rest of your life.

3) You should state in exact terms what exactly in AU that you think is better than SG. I somehow have this feeling you have a very romanticized misconception of living in AU. AU has it good points, but it's not a straight forward thing like just take pay cut go there & enjoy slower pace of life and whole family live happily after.