Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - opportunity overseas
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 03:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am now based in SG, I received a call and completed 2 rounds phone interview with a retail company with its HQ in Syd. After calculations, the annual salary I expect may hit the 35 to 40% tax. Does this mean I effectively shave off 30+% off my net income because of tax?
Means paycut of 30+% for this job in Syd?

Currently in SG I dont pay much tax because of the many relief I can apply for. My annual is pre CPF 120k per annum, with very little tax paid. Post CPF I am drawing est 130k.

If I move to SYD on a similiar salary scale, I can expect to pay
approx 30+% on tax
$2500 monthly on rental for a decent 3 rm apartment in a suburb where my office will be
travel/ transport, - negligible as cars are cheap. I expect to buy a $20k small sedan.
Au Pair expenses and pay is approx $1k a mth. I will bring my helper and apply her as au pair if possible as my youngest is close to her and I rely on her a lot.

I am prepared for a pay cut, maybe what is acceptable will be $100k net income after taking away all these expenses. Is this wishful thinking?
Very interesting situation you have here.

Just to share my experience... I took up a job offer in the middle east a few years back (not your cushy Dubai kind of middle east). The package was awesome (US$270k, tax free! when SGD1 = USD1.6x) and the idea of living an expat life appealed to me. However my sojourn ended a year later and my life in shambles as I quit without a job to return to Singapore to save my marriage. My wife entered depression, cheated on me (and I on her) and it took us another 2 years to get things back together. My career is back on track and we are proud parents of a 4 month old today, by God's grace...

If your marriage are on the rocks then why not, it's a fresh start. Otherwise if you treasure your family then do carefully consider living apart as there are many unforeseen situations. You can commit to calling each other every day and telling yourselves the separation will only last 1 month or so, but it will easily turn into 3 months, 6 months, then before you know it you learn to function independently, then you start to wonder, why bother with all this commitment........?

Given the overall situation, you will probably suffer a pay cut, deal with increased costs but may enjoy a better standard of living, better environment bring up a child, etc... I would do it IF my spouse finds a job concurrently or decides to be a stay at home mum/dad.

Choose wisely.