Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2015, 02:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thanks for yr response.
I am not intending to hide the pregnancy but rather, when is an appropriate time to disclose.
I don't want to waste time going for interviews either, if the co is not open to hiring pregnant ladies.
As for contract roles, while I am not expecting the co to pay maternity benefits, I can understand it doesn't make sense for the co to hire someone who will be away for a few mths.

In other countries, candidates are not obliged to disclose their pregnancy because companies should not have any forms of discrimination. Candidates usu disclose at Pt (3) when actual offer is made. If the offer is withdrawn, there is clear sign of discrimation and co may even invite lawsuits. If candidates disclose earlier than Pt (3), discrimination is harder to prove.
But here, it appears we are "conning" the co if we don't disclose the pregnancy early, when in the first place, co should not practise discrimination at all.
I don’t think there’s any point in lamenting about the moral aspects of pregnant discrimination or how great other countries are, only thing that counts is cold hard reality.

In terms of when to disclose, I would say best time is before you actually head down physically for the interview. If you leave it till later those that are not OK with pregnant ladies would have written you off and it would be a waste of both party’s time & money for the interview.

As for springing them a late surprise only when signing the job offer, that’s a big NO NO. It has the I am out to screw you guys written all over it and it will just invite retaliation leading to a termination from probation within a couple of weeks of you starting work.

Roughly what sort of career level are you at now? For e.g. Clerical/Blue Collar <3k, Exec 3-6k, Snr Exec 7-10k, Mgr 11-20k, Snr Mgr >20k? Roughly speaking from experience for Exec & Clerical level type of jobs most companies are very unwilling to hire pregnant ladies as these are mostly operations and administrative duties that require continuous coverage. If you are more manager or snr manager type there are many companies who are willing to accept you going off for maternity leave as they tend to view the hiring as more long term and strategic.