Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - career switch
Thread: career switch
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2015, 05:07 PM

FactoryEffex is on a distinguished road

I'm new to this forum too, since someone offered me advice, I would return the favor.

I'm in the insurance industry for 7 years since National Service, achieved awards, went for incentive trips and etc. I think I'm good to share with you some insights of doing insurance.

Before you joined, insurance recruitment will sell you the idea of earning a good income, career security, managerial and etc. It is true but usually they don't tell you the negative side. If you are looking for career security, no doubt it provides that, you control how much you earn and the sky is the limit for your income.

If you are not prepared to travel almost every day around Singapore to meet clients (quite inconvenient if without own transport and I have been to every corner of Singapore) nor face tons of rejections everyday or the passion to meet new people. Please do not consider.

If you say freedom, I can only halfheartedly agree with you. Although, I enjoy controlling my own time but most of the time, evening and weekend is burnt due to meeting clients. On the average, an hour per appointment. The longest appointment on record is 6 hours, I met this client from start to finish closing his plan.

I based my business via referrals and cold calling and ever since DNC kicks in, I have difficulties in cold calling. I have seen rookies fly the few 2 years as the warm market very strong but left the business as they can't adjust to cold calling, road shows and etc. You have to start your business via strong warm market and at the same time build your correct foundation like getting referrals but some time cold calling will have faster results.

Conclusion, I was not recruited but went to interview 3 insurers before joining. Sometimes I felt I am a professional but at times, some clients treat you like dirt. If you ego is high, then forget it.