Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2015, 05:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Grad View Post
I am jobless for nearly 1 year now. Graduate from local uni with good honors.

Paper rotting already. Didnt make it through about 4-5 MA programs interview stages. Always passed 1st or 2nd round, then didnt make it on the next round. Thats why so prolonged period. Jobstre*t really useless. Apply so many but little replies.

Any help or tips in job search methods & in interviews for me? Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Thanks.
Hey,

I am a recent graduate from SMU who was in your shoes, previously applied to multiple MA programs for MNCs in my penultimate year. Similar situation, been rejected in various stages of the interview process (Rejection from 1st rounds, 2nd rounds, even Final rounds). Finally landed a job 4 months after grad that pays 4K.

For your job search, my advice to you is to search through warmer leads. Don't just depend on jobstreet or adverts - talk to employees in companies through linkedin, ask your friends for referrals. In short, be more proactive than the typical job hunter. If you can't find opportunities, create your own opportunities.

Since you are able to make it past 1st and 2nd rounds, your resume should be fine. The issue then, is why you aren't able to convert your interview to an offer. Sometimes it comes down to luck - there might be a candidate that's just more suitable than you. More likely though, you're not selling yourself as the right candidate for them.

Generally, a company is looking for an employee who 1. Wants to work for them for the long term 2. has the capability to do the work given and 3. is a great fit for the company culture. Look through your answers in the interview and identify whether you're giving them the answers they are looking for with regards to those 3 points.

If your problem is not getting interviews, take a look at your resume and your job hunting process.
If your problem is not getting past the rounds, review your answers in interviews and learn from your mistakes.