Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 15-10-2015, 07:19 AM
Unregistered

If you are earning a high salary, you should not look down on those earning less. And instead of saying people in their 50s who are still working are lousy, you should be holding up them as examples to follow.

I don't know how young or old you are, but you will be in your 50s one day. You may not even have a job then. You will then realize how difficult it is to hold on to your job when are you pass 50. Your children may still be dependent on you, housing loan still outstanding and retirement fund still empty. You will then fully appreciate and respect those who are in their mid 50s and above who are still working.

If you stop working young, hoping to depend on your children for financial support, you are perpetuating a vicious cycle for them. They will have difficulty building up their own retirement funds and in turn have to depend on their children. And worse if they have to support their in-laws as well.

That's why I always say, if you are healthy, you should continue to work - as long as you can. They say money cannot buy happiness, but I say without money, there is definitely no happiness.

The guy staying in the penthouse who kept posting/boasting that he was good at investment, I think he shared that he lost his job and couldn't find another. So he should know better how hard it is to keep your job once you are near to 50. So if you are still working in your 50s, hang on to your job. And without his wife working, I think he will be in panic mode.

No, people who are still working in their 50s are definitely not lousy. They are the ones who have stamina and lead more meaningful lives.

Let you in on a little secret. Even in my mid 50s, I still eagerly looked forward to pay day. Nowadays I have more such days:
- work payday
- dividend payout days from stocks
- rental collection days (now through ibanking, I used to have collect cheque to bank in)
- bond coupon payments
- interests payout from FDs.

You can do this too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nowadays many people earn at least $300k pa. Those earning less than that and they are in their 50s are considered lousy.

Your uncle should just retire in JB. He can rent out his hdb flat and live in a condo in JB.