Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Stagnant with no opportunities
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2010, 09:35 AM

zara90210 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by quik00 View Post
i'm 28 years of age in my 3rd year of employment in a small consulting company, with a pretty decent pay at $6k/mth. i don't see myself progressing, not in the nature of the work i'm doing nor the opportunities that the company is able to provide.

i see co-workers of the same rank leaving and achieving something higher (as what i perceived eg. working in bigger renowned corporations therefore higher chances of progression), while i'm still stuck here desperately searching for better opportunities every single day.

i was given a few chances at interviews for potentially exciting & fulfilling careers but i messed up each time. i felt i wasn't able to portray myself expressively/favourably in front of the interviewers to the point that i doubt i'll ever succeed getting a job in a big corporation which definitely values a confident individual in its working sphere.

at this juncture, i feel if i dun move on, i'll never be able to "succeed" in worklife (my definition: move on progressively in a big corporation & find work fulfillment along the way). the current pay i draw may already be the early-management salary that some are commanding. but the level of work/accomplishments is about the furthest i can reach in my current employment. if given a chance to jump, i'll have no qualms in taking up the job even if it means a substantial paycut.

but the major problem is, i couldn't find fresh opportunities in online job portals (besides the interviews i bungled) that is remotely related to what i'm doing now (hence 3 yrs of experience is essentially null). furthermore, from the history of my bungled interviews, you can discount my abilities of charming/smoking my way through interviews at jobs that are not related to my current field (this could be the reason why my ex-coworkers have moved on while I'm still here).

i feel miserable every day having to go through this like a lifeless soul. should i just forget about developing my career & move on to enriching other aspects of my life? or is there still a shred of hope left?
Don't understand why you are even comparing with your fellow colleagues. If you step back and take a look around people of your age group, how many are earning $6K??

A male, fresh graduate probably starts work around 25/26 years old after completing NS. With just two or three years of experience, many of them are earning just $2.6K to $3K. You are already on the fast track.