Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career in Finance VS Marketing
View Single Post
Old 21-09-2015, 01:47 PM

yourplaceormine is on a distinguished road
Default Career in Finance VS Marketing

Hi all,
I'm currently an undergraduate pursuing a business degree at one of the local unis here. I would like some honest opinion about careers in the above mentioned fields.

I am considering a career in either one of these fields, and I am wondering how they weigh up against each other in terms of factors such as salary, work-life balance, and career progression.

The general consensus is that salaries in marketing cannot compare to those in finance. Is this true, or does it depend on the industry or the company that you are working in? I think most people are sold by the idea of the "sexy" job in finance that pays really well, but how many people that go into banking etc actually get those kind of salaries? Also, how difficult would it be to get a job in a foreign bank in Singapore? I am aware that local banks have more strict requirements. I do not have fantastic grades that will guarantee me a FO job in a bank here, and I was also wondering how finance jobs in MNCs (not banks) and the Big4 weigh up in comparison to jobs in the banking sector?

In terms of career progression, if I were to compare an individual that has a finance related job to another who has a marketing related job, what would their salaries and position be, given that they have both worked say maybe 7/8 years in their respective jobs?

Thanks!